Monday, August 8, 2011

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (Connect)

This summer I read the Fablehaven series - the whole series.  I couldn't put them down!  Several of my students last year were reading the series and recommended them to me.  I loved it.  The way that the kids, Seth and Kendra have to work together to save their grandparents reminded me of the way that the characters in Harry Potter had to work together to save the world.  Without collaborating, the characters would not have been able to achieve the success that they did.    In fact, Fablehaven and Harry Potter have common themes of cooperation, loyalty and the supernatural.  Loyalty is important in Fablehaven.  Seth and Kendra are loyal to each other even when they are bickering and fighting as brothers and sisters do. The same is true with Harry, Hermione and Ron in Harry Potter.  The friendship shown by Harry, Hermione and Ron is obvious with their loyalty to each other.   In Fablehaven, the supernatural elements are magical creatures such as fairies and demons.  In Harry Potter, the supernatural elements are the magical powers that Harry and his friends and enemies possess.

2 comments:

  1. I never heard of that series and I enjoy urban fantasy. What is the target age range? I think the way you draw parallels between Harry Potter and Fablehaven will entice Potter fans to the series. I remember the Philip Pullman series (Golden Compass?) was supposed to do the same but didn't. I think he might have been too dark to appeal to the same audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The target audience is grades 5-7, although I have had 8th graders who enjoyed the Fablehaven series, and I'm sure it could be enjoyed by students younger than 5th grade who are strong readers. The Phillip Pulman series is much darker than Fablehaven or even Harry Potter. I really enjoyed the Phillip Pullman series, but I had several parents who objected to it so with the younger students I usually have them get parental permission before reading them.

    ReplyDelete